Comments from Mike Roth re: Hanging jersey numbers in the rafters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Remember, there are only 36 total jerseys that can ever be retired.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Yes and no. They can retire the number as many times as they decide. They can only retire Turiaf, or Ammo or Sloot's jersey once.

Unless they decide to retire the number.
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      17 for Loscy and Hondo, the GREATEST EVER.
      I always thought of Bird as the greatest Celtic ever.
      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
        The winningest player in the history of Division I Men’s basketball might make the short list of players for consideration. I might even consider Karnowski’s full career body of work to exceed that of Kelly Olynyk (one year as a starter), Dan Dickau (two years in the program), or Nigel Williams Goss (one season in a Zag uniform).

I’ve always thought that Jeff Brown should have been considered for the honor as well.
        2nd for Karnowski, the all time winningest player in the history of college basketball deserves big time recognition.
        "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
        -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

I'm sure the Jerseys will be hung by the rafters with care....in hopes that recruits will look and soon be there....

Honestly I don't see why they can't hang a jersey and not retire the number. The number is most inconsequential part of that entire process and I don't think it demeans the spirit by which that jersey is raised. Tradition I guess.
          Krozman
          GU student 1996-2000
          Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

Originally posted by krozman View Post
            I'm sure the Jerseys will be hung by the rafters with care....in hopes that recruits will look and soon be there....

Honestly I don't see why they can't hang a jersey and not retire the number. The number is most inconsequential part of that entire process and I don't think it demeans the spirit by which that jersey is raised. Tradition I guess.
            Agreed. I'm also on board with only retiring based on certain objective criteria, and then simply honoring everyone else. I don't care if we've got three different jerseys in the rafters with the same numbers - the names on the back will be different.
            I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

Originally posted by Norcalzag View Post
              As Gonzaga's only college player of the year, Adam Morrison seems like the best candidate to have his men's basketball jersey number retired. First team All-Americans who were also academic All-Americans would seem to me to be automatics for the honor of having their jerseys hung in the rafters of the Kennel: Dan Dickau, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss. From the women's side, I'd definitely favor Courtney Vandersloot for recognition. From way back, maybe Jerry Vermillion's No. 36? Who else?
              What about Frank Burgess?

Sorry, jersey already retired. Thx 23dpg.
              Last edited by ProVeeZag; 12-16-2018, 10:41 PM. Reason: Correction-already retired
              "Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
              —Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                Bill Russell?

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
                2nd for Karnowski, the all time winningest player in the history of college basketball deserves big time recognition.
                Love Big Shem but don’t think he equates to having jersey retired.

Originally posted by ProVeeZag View Post
                What about Frank Burgess?
                Think he and Stockton are already up there.
                Birds aren’t real.

Comment

Ronny!

The way he stood at center court on Senior Night his junior year, with his arms stretched out, facing the student section, smiling. You knew he was coming back for another year--because he loves GU!

Big-time player. At the right time, player.

Comment

One criteria (among many) that needs to be met, IMHO, is that the player needs to have GRADUATED from GU. When AMMO left for the NBA he had yet to graduate. I thought I heard somewhere that he had returned and earned his degree. If so, put him up there..........

Unlike the UNC comparison, GU players are real student/athletes, and the jerseys hanging in the rafters should reflect that.

Go ZAGS

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                      That would be Bill Russell. Height of a center, speed and quickness of a guard. 11 championships in his 13 years of playing in the NBA, winning the championship his rookie year. So many rings that when he wears them all he has to put 2 on one finger. He also lead San Francisco to 2 NCAA championships. He was so dominate defensively the NCAA widened the lanes.

13 championships in 15 years will never be broken.

Comment

Its time for a 3rd number to get Permanently retired. Adam Morrison"s # needs to be hung...To do what he did under the conditions that he did it...Rediculous. He is the best shot creator in the last 20 years...plus POY.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                          The winningest player in the history of Division I Men’s basketball might make the short list of players for consideration. I might even consider Karnowski’s full career body of work to exceed that of Kelly Olynyk (one year as a starter), Dan Dickau (two years in the program), or Nigel Williams Goss (one season in a Zag uniform).

I’ve always thought that Jeff Brown should have been considered for the honor as well.
                          Not including Przemek Karnowski would be an embarrassing miscarriage of everything that college basketball SHOULD, but too often, doesn’t stand for. Tremendous player, outstanding teammate, one that made his teammates better, all time NCAA winningest player, Final Four/championship game, Nation’s best center award, academic excellence/WCC all academic, Graduated!, Masters degree (?) persistence overcoming serious injury, exemplary community service record in Spokane,
                          National Senior of the Year top vote getter/first 5 award, and more. Karno was a totality, not just a basketball player. He was and remains a credit to his school and would be if he had never stepped on the court.

I know many, maybe even most, will disagree, but I reject the thinking that only a player’s performance on the court should be considered when recognition is handed out at the collegiate level. In the Pro’s, sure. But college players are part of, or at least should be part of, their collegiate community and who they are and what they do as a part of that community matters.

Don’t get me wrong. This is NOT to say that a player’s actual performance doesn’t matter. It should and it must, and it should be exceptional. I believe Shemmick’s was and again draw on the quote from CBS Sports I’ve posted before. “Without him, the Zag’s are not in Phoenix.” You could hang a #24 jersey just on that.
                          Last edited by MontanaCoyote; 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Retire AMMO's first. He was player of the year. Then go from there.

Comment

I say we break tradition and start retiring the "faces" of devoted Zag fans.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaCoyote View Post
                                Not including Przemek Karnowski would be an embarrassing miscarriage of everything that college basketball SHOULD, but too often, doesn’t stand for. Tremendous player, outstanding teammate, one that made his teammates better, all time NCAA winningest player, Final Four/championship game, Nation’s best center award, academic excellence/WCC all academic, Graduated!, Masters degree (?) persistence overcoming serious injury, exemplary community service record in Spokane,
                                Senior of the Year first 5 award, and more. Karno was a totality, not just a basketball player. He was and remains a credit to his school and would be if he had never stepped on the court.

I know many, maybe even most, will disagree, but I reject the thinking that only a player’s performance on the court should be considered when recognition is handed out at the collegiate level. In the Pro’s, sure. But college players are part of, or at least should be part of, their collegiate community and who they are and what they do as a part of that community matters.

Don’t get me wrong. This is NOT to say that a player’s actual performance doesn’t matter. It should and it must, and it should be exceptional. I believe Shemmick’s was and again draw on the quote from CBS Sports I’ve posted before. “Without him, the Zag’s are not in Phoenix.” You could hang a #24 jersey just on that.
                                And did it while coming to America from a different country across the Atlantic.

Comment

Working...
                                X