Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS IT FINALLY TIME FOR GONZAGA TO JOIN THE PAC 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    One thing about recruiting is Coach Few and Lloyd know what they are looking for and what fits their system. They are the best in the country at this. Most schools just go after the best player available, regardless of fit or not, or not. coaches don't do that. They will continue to get players that fit the system even if we are in the Wcc or not. They have their own recruiting style and it keeps getting better and better. I love it when we keep beating the big boys after they keep yelling the Zags don't play anybody.
    Well, THEY won't play us, so I guess they aren't anybody
    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

I would love to see a three tiered West Coast Basketball Alliance, comprised of the PAC 12, MWC and WCC.

The top 12 teams play in Division 1. The next 12 in Division 2. The remaining in Division 3. Each division is essentially it's own conference with its own schedule, tournament and auto bid. The top tier would be your best teams from the three conferences and so forth. Each year the top and bottom 2 teams would be relegated and promoted among the divisions.

The idea would be that the top tier is the country's premier basketball conference with 8-9 at large bids. The second tier would have less but hopefully 3-4 and the third tier would give a chance to have an autobid from a school like USF or Pacific.

It would never work but given how few basketball schools are on the West Coast this is the only way to replicate east coast competition out west.

The idea would be for tier 1

Comment

These questions used to be far more compelling when we were working our way up. We are on top now, one of the top 8 (easily) programs in the country. If the nation formed a "super conference" of 12 teams nationwide, we'd be a shoe-in. We don't need anyone, though improving the WCC is always a great goal, and it seems to be happening.

And the Pac-12 has a profile that it won't move. It is for Tier One research institutions. That's why BYU will be forever on the outside looking in. BYU is an excellent academic school, but other than law and a few other programs, it is geared toward undergraduate education, that's their choice and they've done it well.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
          Well, THEY won't play us, so I guess they aren't anybody
          Yes and the one's that won't play us are the one's that yell the loudest that we don't play anyone.

Comment

Yes and the one's that won't play us are the one's that yell the loudest that we don't play anyone.
            Of the Power 5 conferences, I think the Big 12 has been the most accessible OOC league to the Zags. The upcoming games with UT Austin, Texas Tech and Kansas leave only TCU and Iowa State as the programs we haven't played in OOC play.

I could be wrong, though.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
              only TCU and Iowa State as the programs we haven't played in OOC play.

I could be wrong, though.
              Beat Iowa State during the Final Four/Championship game season
              https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId=400926730

Lost to TCU in the breakout ('98/'99) Elite 8 season (but had beaten them my sophomore year at Gonzaga)
              https://gofrogs.com/sports/mens-bask...-university/26
              sigpic
              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

So bloody true!

Comment

Maybe the easier question might be who, in P-5 conferences have we not played.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                    Maybe the easier question might be who, in P-5 conferences have we not played.
                    I would not include post season games. Pre conference tournaments are one thing, they know when they accept the invite that their is a possibility. The real determination is which schools are willing to schedule a home and home, or a regional and regional.
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

seems like this topic gets discussed to death every couple of years for the last ten years, Pac 12, west div of Big East, etc.

however about about three summers ago it seemed like a small, but real, possibility we would join the Mtn. West., I think

Comment

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                        seems like this topic gets discussed to death every couple of years for the last ten years, Pac 12, west div of Big East, etc.

however about about three summers ago it seemed like a small, but real, possibility we would join the Mtn. West., I think
                        Think it was just last year actually. Glad that never happened. Woulda been a total downgrade.
                        Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

Absolutely glad that never happened also. The WCC will have an opportunity to prove how good they are this year against the Pac 12.
                          I have great expectations, not only for the Zags but for some other teams as well. BYU is absolutely LOADED this year and they just picked up a grad transfer guard
                          that is uber athletic and quick. Don't count our Pepperdine, SF or St. Marys (they had one of their best recruiting classes ever, including 2 great players from the
                          state of Wash.). I think that WCC is on the rise and it would absolutely not benefit Gonzaga in any way to join the Pac 12. Plus, it will never happen without a D1
                          football program.

Comment

The only advantage would be that we would play Oregon once or twice per year. Other than that, it's a bad move. And do we really need Uncle Bill Walton calling more of our games?
                            The NBA playoffs, a best of 7 is always better than a best of 1.

Comment

would be be fair to say Mark Few would not enjoy playing Oregon twice a year?
                              isn't that the only college in the nation toward which he has some measure of childhood, family, friends, and local ties?

as for my memory i would say it is going from bad to worse, was it really just one year ago we threatened to go to mtn west? watzzzzamatter wit me

Comment

I was watching YouTube late last night and happened across the Louisville vs gu first round game in 2000 down in Tucson. 7 v 10 matchup. 20 years ago Gus Johnson was the announcer and gu was still the Cinderella program. Frahm dropped 30 on the cardinals and the zags won with 23 turnovers. Few’s first NCAA win. Crazy history. It really puts in perspective how far the zags have come in 20 years

Comment

Working...
                                X