X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zags11 View Post
    So no hoops then?
    Nope. Not in the near term.

Think about this. If it's not safe now, then in November when things are THE SAME (or worse), it's not going to be any different. VACCINE is the answer. Maybe 2021. It'll take six months or more to vaccinate enough people. That's June 2021. That should be enough for you to figure it out. Any questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
      Important Message to Students and Families Regarding Plan for Fall 2020 Reopening

https://www.gonzaga.edu/zagon/announ...2020-reopening
      President McCulloh is hosting online town halls for students and their family members this evening and tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to get reports back on what he says and responses to questions.

Athletics is one of the specific focus areas of the University's Pandemic Response Task Force which was stood up to guide the school's operations in the pandemic environment.
      'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
      - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
        President McCulloh is hosting online town halls for students and their family members this evening and tomorrow morning. It will be interesting to get reports back on what he says and responses to questions.

Athletics is one of the specific focus areas of the University's Pandemic Response Task Force which was stood up to guide the school's operations in the pandemic environment.
        Thayne was a classmate of mine. Every interaction I had with him told me he was a smart guy. I'm sure he'll do right.

Comment

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
          Thayne was a classmate of mine. Every interaction I had with him told me he was a smart guy. I'm sure he'll do right.
          He was my RD my freshman year.
          'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
          - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
            He was my RD my freshman year.
            I was an RD the following year. An RA the year before. Different dorm though.

Comment

Nope. Not in the near term.

Think about this. If it's not safe now, then in November when things are THE SAME (or worse), it's not going to be any different. VACCINE is the answer. Maybe 2021. It'll take six months or more to vaccinate enough people. That's June 2021. That should be enough for you to figure it out. Any questions?
              Your prognosis went from “infinitely worse” in the winter to “THE SAME (or worse).” Would you be willing to clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                Your prognosis went from “infinitely worse” in the winter to “THE SAME (or worse).” Would you be willing to clarify?
                It's all relative. I don't have a crystal ball. It will be worse when influenza season begins. I don't know why you're nitpicking.

Comment

It's all relative. I don't have a crystal ball. It will be worse when influenza season begins. I don't know why you're nitpicking.
                  Thank you. You are looked upon as an expert authority here on this topic and the clarification helps.

Comment

Uhh, you forgot THREE ZEROES after that number (152,000 deaths, or NINETEEN 9/11's in six months).

Really? Wow, I have.

1918 has entered the chat. I'm not that old, but you are neither. Have you not studied history? This PBS video will expand your mind. I don't expect you will watch it, but it absolutely parallels what we are seeing today.

Amazing how history repeats itself. If anyone thinks that this winter won't be infinitely worse, please, please, post your thoughts now for all eternity to see. I'll be here to sarcastically blow your mind and expose what you downplayed was true in a few months from now.

If anyone has been following my post history, I'll be happy to acknowledge any predication that's been wrong. All along I've been talking about the SCIENCE, not the politics or the pseudoscience from social media. Please, refute me. Do your own scientific research and avoid the media that only wants to sway your opinion.
                    Obviously the 152 was in the 1000's. how else could we arrive at that low mortality rate. Ive not seen 1918 even though that epidemic took my grand parents on both sides. So I got a personal stake in the history Cad. And no, you' ve not seen such disruption from an infectious disease in your time. Historically pretty bad.

I have not seen a formal cancelation of the season. I know our OOC is unlikely without a miracle. Cancelation..no. We'll see. For now, league play is still in mind........Jan forward. That could change if the outburts continue in certain regions. I suspect , if the liability issues are developed, the lawyers will scare the administration to simply pass on this upcoming season.

But why nitpick?? lol

Comment

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                      Thank you. You are looked upon as an expert authority here on this topic and the clarification helps.
                      Understood...cheers.

Comment

Understood...cheers.
                        Serious question., will schools need to shut down now when influenza season begins? If so, is this the new normal in America?

Comment

Originally posted by ZagaZags View Post
                          Serious question., will schools need to shut down now when influenza season begins? If so, is this the new normal in America?
                          Good question. It's barely a matter of influenza, per se. We've dealt with that for years (and we have a vaccine that takes care of most of that). But, it's a matter of the seasonal environment that promulgates the transmission of respiratory viruses in the setting of a pandemic that we've not seen in 102 years -- and for which we have no cure or major effective treatment. It's demonstrably clear that indoor settings with people in close and extended proximity are the major contributors to COVID transmission. The smarter people in the room will know that when outbreaks occur, schools will need to close. Teachers and professors are already scared about school openings. When they are leaning that way already, you can see what will happen.

We've now seen, in the summertime, major outbreaks at UW and USC due to fraternity/sorority activity, when most of the student body is far from campus. When school starts and kids come from far and wide, you can imagine what multiplication does in the concentration of young, inexperienced Homo sapiens, most of which feel completely invincible.

As someone who's been a student, med student, intern, resident physician, faculty member, researcher, clinician, attending physician, hospitalist, and most importantly, parent, I'm utterly terrified at the prospect of extended, in-person congregation of said Homo sapiens in any context.

A large contingent of medical experts from fields far and wide, just sent out a letter recommending shutting everything down nationwide at once, so we can reset, stop transmission, and then test, trace, and track. It'll never happen because most people are in denial and will verily deny what people in the know have to say, but it's the right move. It's depressing, not only because who wants that, but also because of the utter ignorance. It's not a matter of politics. Survival depends on what you DO, not what you think. People flexing in the face of a pandemic only proves that they're not paying attention, that they don't respect science and that they reject critical thinking (a tenet of all Jesuit thought). Lacking empathy. It's nothing to boast about. Respect for our elders has somehow gone out the window, while at the same time we all have ELDERS in our lives. Inexplicable.

Anyone paying attention will realize that nothing will be changing until a vaccine is widely available. Outbreaks will rise and fall, depending on our actions -- collectively as a people. If the teens and 20's people decide not to participate in that process as members of a WHOLE society, it will be a long time before we recover. As the CS&N song goes...Teach...your children well.

Comment

Uhh, you forgot THREE ZEROES after that number (152,000 deaths, or NINETEEN 9/11's in six months).
                            Oops. My mistake. It's 50 9/11's, not 19. That was a blunder...sorry. Bye

Comment

I don't trust the numbers in the NY Times article. I know for a fact that one of the colleges has higher numbers (I am not referring to GU). The Spokane Regional Health District is not releasing names of organizations that have staff who have been infected. So unless a college self reports we are not getting any numbers.

Comment

In other news, GU Boards is officially dead.
                                Originally posted by Reborn
                                Go Zags!!!
                                Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

Working...
                                X