Damn! It's hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It's nice to be retired even if you don't have enough money...lol. When asked, my reply is "retirement is underrated."

Is the World of Beers still open? I went there a couple of times when I was working for the FDIC. A most enjoyable place to visit, several great take-out places to pair with one of 800 beers...it was heavenly.
    Absolute truth.

I would have pulled the trigger much sooner if I had only known. It is time to let the young folks run the world. I have faith in them.
    I miss Mike Hart

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post

Comment

Originally posted by ZagsObserver View Post
        Oh my, that would kill my wife. Did you get a hotel room? We have three heat pumps, and all of them are inoperable at the moment (unlucky, right?). At 91 degrees last evening, it was about as unbearable as can be. 4 portable ac units did next to nothing.
        We basically abandoned that half of the house, and used a portable AC unit in a back bedroom to keep it in the mid-80s, which was tolerable.
        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

It's nice to be retired even if you don't have enough money...lol. When asked, my reply is "retirement is underrated."

Is the World of Beers still open? I went there a couple of times when I was working for the FDIC. A most enjoyable place to visit, several great take-out places to pair with one of 800 beers...it was heavenly.
          Check your PMs!
          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

For those who want to avoid contributing to the environmental effects of air conditioning, (such as increased global warming), a simple swamp cooler does wonders. Mine consists of a box fan, a folding clothes rack, and some cold wet towels and ice. There are a number of designs on youtube.

Accuweather says it's 101 here now, and it's a tolerable 82 in the house.

Comment

ZN mail!

Comment

Hey, Abe, My son picked up an air conditioner today and it's perking along, keeping the living room a comfy 20 degrees cooler than the rest of the house. Life is good - or at least considerably improved!
                Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                ZN mail!

Comment

Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                    Check your PMs!
                    If you're referring to the PM from last week, I read it, though it seems my response was lost in the ozone...a polite way of saying I thought I responded, but hadn't...reply forthcoming.

Comment

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
                      For those who want to avoid contributing to the environmental effects of air conditioning, (such as increased global warming), a simple swamp cooler does wonders. Mine consists of a box fan, a folding clothes rack, and some cold wet towels and ice. There are a number of designs on youtube.

That's clever

Comment

Lol JP! transparent too. We’ve gone over this!!lol

Comment

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post

maynard, swamp coolers are most effective in low humidity areas, such as El Paso and Phoenix. I've yet to see one in North Texas, and they most assuredly do not work in Houston.

Thankfully, my current a/c units keep my electric bill in the low $400s in July and August. BTW, my electric bill in the winter is usually around $100.

Comment

Originally posted by ZagWhoShotLibertyValance View Post
                            Most probably know this but I feel obligated to say this:

Using a fan in temperatures over 100 is bad.

You’re pushing superheated air around and you will raise your body temperature.

Pour ice in bathtub. Cool air. Then fan.
                            My first summer in Mobile, Alabama...I had never experienced the heat at night combined with the humidity. I shared a room and they had window fans to help keep the air moving. I sweated profusely and chilled grossly until I was borderline pneumonia. I had to sleep under a light quilt to make it through the heat.

Absurd, but true.
                            Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

maynard, swamp coolers are most effective in low humidity areas, such as El Paso and Phoenix. I've yet to see one in North Texas, and they most assuredly do not work in Houston.

Thankfully, my current a/c units keep my electric bill in the low $400s in July and August. BTW, my electric bill in the winter is usually around $100.
                              Yeah, I became aware of them when I stopped to visit a hs friend in Phoenix in August '79. Never needed to do more here east of Seattle than open the windows overnight and close them in the morning if it's gonna get hot- at least before now. I just need to knock off 5-10 degrees in extreme heat to make it tolerable. My post was meant more for those in the NW who just need to get thru a few of these a year.

Elec bill is $30 or less year around since we heat w/ wood.

Comment

August, any underground NYC subway platform, circa 1970s, if the heat and humidity didn't get you, the smells and the vermin did.

Comment

Working...
                                X