Damn! It's hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    It's nice to be retired even if you don't have enough money...lol. When asked, my reply is "retirement is underrated."

Is the World of Beers still open? I went there a couple of times when I was working for the FDIC. A most enjoyable place to visit, several great take-out places to pair with one of 800 beers...it was heavenly.
    Thanks for the reply Texas Zag Fan! Where are you located in Texas? We were just there visiting our son in Austin. Love it there. Very nice airport., Its starting to get crowded there. LOL And I agree Retirement is grossly underrated. LOL PS Have never been to Panama City, Panama and am looking forward to it. Have any other suggestions for places to go and things to do. Be good and stay well. PS sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by maynard g krebs View Post
      For those who want to avoid contributing to the environmental effects of air conditioning, (such as increased global warming), a simple swamp cooler does wonders. Mine consists of a box fan, a folding clothes rack, and some cold wet towels and ice. There are a number of designs on youtube.

Accuweather says it's 101 here now, and it's a tolerable 82 in the house.
      Yeah, I became aware of them when I stopped to visit a hs friend in Phoenix in August '79. Never needed to do more here east of Seattle than open the windows overnight and close them in the morning if it's gonna get hot- at least before now. I just need to knock off 5-10 degrees in extreme heat to make it tolerable. My post was meant more for those in the NW who just need to get thru a few of these a year.

Elec bill is $30 or less year around since we heat w/ wood.
      Interesting that you cite the environmental effect of Air Conditioners, yet heat with wood.

Your choice and I'm not attacking, just noting.
      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

Originally posted by willandi View Post
        Interesting that you cite the environmental effect of Air Conditioners, yet heat with wood.

They're going to have to pull my Traeger BBB from my cold dead fingers. lol

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          67 here. Breezy, sunny, dry. Sigh.
          Gross. 67 in the summer just don’t sit right with me. I’ll stick with 85 and not having to wear a wetsuit when I surf.

Hang in there Pacific Northwesterners! Can’t imagine that heat with no AC! Be safe!
          "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

Please don’t let anyone know where most of the electricity for their Teslas comes from.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasZagFan View Post
              maynard, swamp coolers are most effective in low humidity areas, such as El Paso and Phoenix. I've yet to see one in North Texas, and they most assuredly do not work in Houston.

Thankfully, my current a/c units keep my electric bill in the low $400s in July and August. BTW, my electric bill in the winter is usually around $100.
              Very True.

If the ambient air is already full of water, you can't add much more water to it.

In hot, dry air evaporative coolers are great. In humid areas evaporative coolers are next to worthless.

ZagDad

Comment

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                A week and a half ago it high 115 in the front room of my house. Single-pane windows, facing due west, no AC or insulation in the entire house.
                True Story.

My dad was the traditional engineer. In 1976 he bought a brand new Pontiac Catalina station wagon. His first new car since 1962. He bought the Pontiac without A/C.

In late July we had to make a trip to Yakima from Spokane (about 4 hours with the 55 mph speed limit). After a long hot day outside, we got in the car to come home in the late afternoon. The ambient temperature was 105+. The car was hotter than hades and of course no A/C, but whatever air we could get from the windows. Our conversation went something like this:

Son: How much was the cost to add A/C to the Pontiac?

Dad: About $600. I did not think is was worth the price.

Son: How long do you typically keep your cars?

Dad: About 15 Years

Son: So, A/C would cost you about $40 per year (simple payback, before you economists tell me about the time value of money).

Dad: Yeah that's about right.

As we are driving back to Spokane in 105 Deg. F. heat with no A/C and 3 hours and 45 minutes to go.

Son: So, how's that decision looking right now?

Dad: I might have made an error in my calculations.

Son: Ya think

ZagDad

Comment

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                  True Story.

My dad was the traditional engineer. In 1976 he bought a brand new Pontiac Catalina station wagon. His first new car since 1962. He bought the Pontiac without A/C.

In late July we had to make a trip to Yakima from Spokane (about 4 hours with the 55 mph speed limit). After a long hot day outside, we got in the car to come home in the late afternoon. The ambient temperature was 105+. The car was hotter than hades and of course no A/C, but whatever air we could get from the windows. Our conversation went something like this:

Son: So, A/C would cost you about $40 per year (simple payback, before you economists tell me about the time value of money).

As we are driving back to Spokane in 105 Deg. F. heat with no A/C and 3 hours and 45 minutes to go.

ZagDad
                  You were ahead of your time. We're in the middle of a move out of state, and definitely looking forward to having both AC and insulation in the new house!
                  I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

Originally posted by ZagDad84 View Post
                    True Story.

ZagDad
                    My Grandpa always got 455 A/C with all his cars.

Four windows open at 55 MPH.
                    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      August, any underground NYC subway platform, circa 1970s, if the heat and humidity didn't get you, the smells and the vermin did.
                      It's still pretty bad in the 2020s, Jazz.
                      Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

Burning wood is a part of nature's cycle, and has been for millenia. Freon and nuclear power, not so much. Everything's gonna have some effect. I see wood as the most benign way to heat that's available to me. Just my opinion.
                        It also saves $, which is tight until we sell the house eventually. And cutting and splitting wood just feels enjoyable and natural to me. IMO the issue isn't wood, it's overpopulation.

Comment

Originally posted by gueastcoast View Post
                          It's still pretty bad in the 2020s, Jazz.
                          Platforms down below were about 15-20 degrees hotter than the outside... add in the occasional hot car... ahhh the MTA at it's finest. Remember going into Harold Sq station on a 90+ day and thought I was going to die from heat exposure before the next train came.
                          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Burning wood is a part of nature's cycle, and has been for millenia. …and nuclear power, not so much.
                            Don’t let the sun know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                              Don’t let the sun know.

Yeah. The sun is exactly like Chernobyl, TMI, Fukushima. Great point. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                                Don’t let the sun know.

Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying, either

Comment

Working...
                                X