Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stockton's season tickets suspended due to his defiance of McCarthey mask mandate

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    I mean he was literally quoted as saying that in an article…
    Yes. An article. Edited and could be lacking context. I don’t accept these kinds of articles at face value. That’s all.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• Originally posted by GoZags View Post
      "Anecdotal but worth sharing" ... I like that.

The same week we had a multi-page thread following the progress of one of our own's journey to the ICU (and we had concerns about another Boardmember) a friend of mine (a former Federal Law enforcement officer) lost his brother and sister in law. They'd (the brother and sister in law) moved from Colorado to Wyoming a year ago to get away from liberal Colorado and have "freedom" ... "freedom" to NOT have to wear a mask, etc. This was roughly the timeframe DZ also had his rough go with COVID. Those two (my friend's brother and sister in law) both died within an hour of getting taken off of life support. Their son (my buddy's nephew) died of COVID 10 days ago.

Anecdotal, but worth sharing.
      Sad, condolences. Unvaxxed all I assume?

Comment

• https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...s-gonzaga-sus/

The Spokesman published two articles; one is linked directly in the OP. The second article, "Q+A John Stockton", is linked above and includes this passage:

In an exclusive interview with The Spokesman-Review on Saturday at Stockton’s Spokane-based basketball gym, The Warehouse, the former Gonzaga standout doubled down on comments made in an anti-vaccine documentary last June, confirmed he’s had his season tickets suspended by GU for failing to comply with the school’s mask mandate and spoke at length about his views on COVID-19 in year three of the pandemic.

Many of his views regarding COVID-19, vaccines and masking run counter to peer-reviewed research, advice and recommendations of medical experts.

A transcript of Stockton’s answers, which have been shortened for brevity, can be found below.
        A "transcript" shouldn't be shortened or edited. . .the S-R should have printed the questions and answers in their entirety. I don't know if that was Mr. Lawson's call or a decision made by one of the S-R editors.
        Last edited by RenoZag; 01-25-2022, 07:24 AM.
        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
          Yes. An article. Edited and could be lacking context. I don’t accept these kinds of articles at face value. That’s all.
          That is always the response it seems. When facts are presented... just refuse to believe them.

Ask yourself this... if he hadn't said it and they printed it, don't you think he'd be out there refuting it and demanding a retraction? He isn't.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
            To me, a public health department mandating a mask for certain public settings is akin to that same public health department mandating that patrons wear shoes in restaurants and grocery stores. I almost 50, and I don’t remember a time when restaurants didn’t have, “No Shirt...No shoes...No service,” signs on the doors. I don’t ever remember anybody complaining that those rules infringed on their human rights.

It’s a piece of cloth. It’s not going to hurt you. If you don’t want to wear it, don’t enter the premises.
            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
              Sad, condolences. Unvaxxed all I assume?
              Yes. The brother, sister in law and nephew were unvaxxed despite the efforts of my buddy ….

I do not know (but have my suspicions) about other two fellows I referenced in my post.
              sigpic
              “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
              ——-
              List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
              Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                That is always the response it seems. When facts are presented... just refuse to believe them.

Ask yourself this... if he hadn't said it and they printed it, don't you think he'd be out there refuting it and demanding a retraction? He isn't.
                How do you know what he is or isn’t doing? You don’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
                  How do you know what he is or isn’t doing? You don’t.
                  Well first off, I think he'd be quite vocal about it. I know I would, especially considering that this went national in terms of news. Not to mention the legal ramifications. Second I could ask the same thing... how do YOU know it was taken out of context? You don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                    Well first off, I think he'd be quite vocal about it. I know I would, especially considering that this went national in terms of news. Not to mention the legal ramifications. Second I could ask the same thing... how do YOU know it was taken out of context? You don't.
                    I don’t know, but I also didn’t say it was out of context. I just don’t know. I don’t default to believing everything in a newspaper. Reno’s post suggests a shortened transcript. A couple of questions on voir dire, and peremptory challenge sends you on the way.

Comment

• In the absence of a political or religious ideology, most people generally accept and follow science. Some people I know who prefer natural and holistic medical practices, still turn to scientific medicine in life and death cases, in addition to prayer, thinking positive, etc. Airline and ship pilots follow weather forecasts (which are many times more accurate than in 1980) because they need the best advice possible. The world dealt with the ozone issue rationally because it was not turned into a religious or political issue (where people often abandon seeking the concensus of scientists in any area, volcano warnings, on and on).
                      I like the fact that many anti-vaccers in this wonderful thread (democracy in action) use particular scientific pieces of evidence in their opinions.
                      But I am suspicious of one thing:
                      Epidemiologists and related scientific fields are the experts, and generally teaching the subjects in the world's universities. In the absence of an issue getting politicized (e.g. global warming, evolution, etc) the public generally let's the leading scientists in a field express their concensus or majority views on an issue. If the anti-vaccers really follow scientific evidence where it leads them, open-mindedly, how is it that they over-rule the majority of epidemiologists who are clearly advising governments on these policies for masks and vaccines. It's like saying "I will pick this and that from your body of research, but ignore the rest" which overall concludes the policy should be for public safety in their best judgments." You quote from some aspects of their research as 'scientific evidence' but quickly reject their overall interpretations of the whole body of their research.
                      Within the USA, there is a tendency to label the 'media' as liberal, then identify UN agencies with the same conclusions, oh, they are liberal also, then to identify nearly all of Western Europe with the same conclusions, oh they are liberal also, and pretty soon there is the danger of painting one's self into a corner.

Thank you everyone for giving your heart felt opinions and generally respectfully. Makes me proud of our moderators and the GU Board in general.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                        In the absence of a political or religious ideology, most people generally accept and follow science. Some people I know who prefer natural and holistic medical practices, still turn to scientific medicine in life and death cases, in addition to prayer, thinking positive, etc. Airline and ship pilots follow weather forecasts (which are many times more accurate than in 1980) because they need the best advice possible. The world dealt with the ozone issue rationally because it was not turned into a religious or political issue (where people often abandon seeking the concensus of scientists in any area, volcano warnings, on and on).
                        I like the fact that many anti-vaccers in this wonderful thread (democracy in action) use particular scientific pieces of evidence in their opinions.
                        But I am suspicious of one thing:
                        Epidemiologists and related scientific fields are the experts, and generally teaching the subjects in the world's universities. In the absence of an issue getting politicized (e.g. global warming, evolution, etc) the public generally let's the leading scientists in a field express their concensus or majority views on an issue. If the anti-vaccers really follow scientific evidence where it leads them, open-mindedly, how is it that they over-rule the majority of epidemiologists who are clearly advising governments on these policies for masks and vaccines. It's like saying "I will pick this and that from your body of research, but ignore the rest" which overall concludes the policy should be for public safety in their best judgments." You quote from some aspects of their research as 'scientific evidence' but quickly reject their overall interpretations of the whole body of their research.
                        Within the USA, there is a tendency to label the 'media' as liberal, then identify UN agencies with the same conclusions, oh, they are liberal also, then to identify nearly all of Western Europe with the same conclusions, oh they are liberal also, and pretty soon there is the danger of painting one's self into a corner.

Thank you everyone for giving your heart felt opinions and generally respectfully. Makes me proud of our moderators and the GU Board in general.
                        Disagree on one thing. The weather is as capricious as ever, if not more so, so no, forecasting isn’t materially better than in the 80s. Perhaps radar and associated tech and equipment appears to be more accurate, but end of the day, Mother Nature is as unpredictable as Mark Fidrych’s delivery. Now if the wise guys in Vegas were predicting the weather…….

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          Mother Nature is as unpredictable as Mark Fidrych’s delivery.
                          The Bird!!!

Shocked to find he died underneath a dump truck in 2009 at the age of 54.

Comment

• 10 pages now wow.

Good to see LIZF and others fighting the good fight on here, but everyone is so dug in at this point. I'm afraid no minds will ever be changed.

I would guess that a lot of the anti-vaccine and anti-mask crowd also doubt the legitimacy of our last presidential election.

Stop believing everything you read on the internet people.

I am old enough to remember a time when being an "expert" or a scientist was something to be respected. Now it's just as likely to be thrown around as an insult.

The evidence for the efficacy of the vaccines is overwhelming at this point....

stay safe everyone!

Comment

• Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                              The Bird!!!

Shocked to find he died underneath a dump truck in 2009 at the age of 54.
                              Sic transit gloria mundi….

Comment

• John must be smiling today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/25/new-...k-mandate.html

https://news.yahoo.com/york-supreme-...010754131.html

Comment

Working...
                                X