Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stockton's season tickets suspended due to his defiance of McCarthey mask mandate

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    John Stockton is not an idiot. He is not an embarrassment to GU. No one should be appalled or ready to throw themself in front of a bus because of his position.

I have all the Covid shots. Even threw in the shingles and flu shots at the same time. The only fact I am puzzled by regularly is that the Covid shots will not prevent getting the disease. But it apparently mitigates the symptoms, and, if you are reasonably healthy, odds are you survive it.

I worry less about those who aren’t wearing masks than those who don’t practice good sanitary habits. The sheer number of men who don’t wash their hands after a bathroom visit is troubling. Wear a mask and still touch your face and take your mask off for a drink, or blow your nose, etc? We all do it. It’s not hard to see why masks are subject of varying opinions.

But John Stockton is not an idiot. As an alum, he doesn’t embarrass me.
    The part about washing your hands after a bathroom visit reminds me of when I called out one of my friends for not washing his hands one time. His response was something like, “little man stays tucked away in my clothes all day. Probably the cleanest part of my body. If anything, we should wash our hands before we go to the bathroom since our hands surely have more germs than our privates…”. Kinda blew my mind and I had no rebuttal lol.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Yeah... more kids to get sick! Must be great to celebrate that. Thank god my kids are out of school.
      "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• Originally posted by deathchina View Post
        10 pages now wow.

Good to see LIZF and others fighting the good fight on here, but everyone is so dug in at this point. I'm afraid no minds will ever be changed.

I would guess that a lot of the anti-vaccine and anti-mask crowd also doubt the legitimacy of our last presidential election.

Stop believing everything you read on the internet people.

I am old enough to remember a time when being an "expert" or a scientist was something to be respected. Now it's just as likely to be thrown around as an insult.

The evidence for the efficacy of the vaccines is overwhelming at this point....

stay safe everyone!
        Biden is already starting a narrative to object to the next election if his voting laws don’t pass, and Hillary, Elizabeth Warren, and other liberals complained about the previous one, so you can try that particular nonsense on someone else. It’s also irrelevant to this discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
          Biden is already starting a narrative to object to the next election if his voting laws don’t pass, and Hillary, Elizabeth Warren, and other liberals complained about the previous one, so you can try that particular nonsense on someone else. It’s also irrelevant to this discussion.
          Ummm where did he say anything about the election other than to point out the same people are questioning both things.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Comment

• Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
            Ummm where did he say anything about the election other than to point out the same people are questioning both things.
            Exactly. It’s a guilt-by-association, ad hominem rhetorical tactic. Its a logical fallacy, for starters, but also overtly political.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
              In the absence of a political or religious ideology, most people generally accept and follow science. Some people I know who prefer natural and holistic medical practices, still turn to scientific medicine in life and death cases, in addition to prayer, thinking positive, etc. Airline and ship pilots follow weather forecasts (which are many times more accurate than in 1980) because they need the best advice possible. The world dealt with the ozone issue rationally because it was not turned into a religious or political issue (where people often abandon seeking the concensus of scientists in any area, volcano warnings, on and on).
              I like the fact that many anti-vaccers in this wonderful thread (democracy in action) use particular scientific pieces of evidence in their opinions.
              But I am suspicious of one thing:
              Epidemiologists and related scientific fields are the experts, and generally teaching the subjects in the world's universities. In the absence of an issue getting politicized (e.g. global warming, evolution, etc) the public generally let's the leading scientists in a field express their concensus or majority views on an issue. If the anti-vaccers really follow scientific evidence where it leads them, open-mindedly, how is it that they over-rule the majority of epidemiologists who are clearly advising governments on these policies for masks and vaccines. It's like saying "I will pick this and that from your body of research, but ignore the rest" which overall concludes the policy should be for public safety in their best judgments." You quote from some aspects of their research as 'scientific evidence' but quickly reject their overall interpretations of the whole body of their research.
              Within the USA, there is a tendency to label the 'media' as liberal, then identify UN agencies with the same conclusions, oh, they are liberal also, then to identify nearly all of Western Europe with the same conclusions, oh they are liberal also, and pretty soon there is the danger of painting one's self into a corner.

Thank you everyone for giving your heart felt opinions and generally respectfully. Makes me proud of our moderators and the GU Board in general.
              Your view of Academia is much more generous than mine. I view it right now as something closer to the View daytime talk show.

Comment

Exactly. It’s a guilt-by-association, ad hominem rhetorical tactic. Its a logical fallacy, for starters, but also overtly political.
                Not really... I think it is a rejection of any authority whether it be science or politics. Both sides do it, but it is especially true in the current climate that one side is far more likely on this. It bears out in the demographics and political stances and in states with the lowest vax rates and legal pushback on even wearing a simple mask. I know plenty of people on both sides that have zero problem with vaccines and masks. I have family members who lean left that refuse vaxxing and masks. So yeah... I know both sides fall into the group.

Comment

Your view of Academia is much more generous than mine. I view it right now as something closer to the View daytime talk show.
                  Well that is just sad then.

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                    Disagree on one thing. The weather is as capricious as ever, if not more so, so no, forecasting isn’t materially better than in the 80s. Perhaps radar and associated tech and equipment appears to be more accurate, but end of the day, Mother Nature is as unpredictable as Mark Fidrych’s delivery. Now if the wise guys in Vegas were predicting the weather…….
                    Wait, I thought mother nature in San Diego was like clockwork: 72 and sunny? No? And the Bird's delivery was absolutely predictable: every pitch, you never knew what was coming. Every time.

Comment

• There is no such thing as "science" and it can't speak.

There is data. There are fields of science. There is the scientific method.

The scientific method allows you present a hypotheses (and then theory) based on data which welcomes all challenges to the conclusion. It's never settled as we are always learning more.

When people say, "look at the science" they are saying "look at this person or group's interpretation of data".

Quit using the word "science" to mean irrefutable truth. That definition already has a word: Dogma
                      Ihre Papiere bitte

Comment

• Is there a list somewhere that confirms that hundreds of professional athletes have, in fact, died entirely due to a COVID vaccine? There are reports of 108 FIFA athletes have died because of the vaccine, but FIFA's governing board says that isn't true at all.

Reuters presented the claims to FIFA, world soccer’s governing body, which reaffirmed its statement to Reuters in November: “FIFA is not aware of a rise in episodes of cardiac arrests as indicated in your email and no cases have been flagged in relation to individuals receiving a COVID vaccine.
                        All I could find was this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2T81NY

There is little doubt that some people who will claim that reuters is part of the international conspiracy designed to take over the world through vaccines, but could someone provide another listing?

Comment

• Well since someone mentioned the Bird in some reference let me say I grew up a Michagander I remember my mother turned on the radio and we listened in 1967 when the Tigers lost the pennant by losing the 2nd game of a doubleheader to the Angels in the last day and game of the year giving the Red Sox the Pennant. The next year 1968 I watched every Tiger game on TV that was on, and hiding under the covers at night listening to the games on my little transistor radio late at night and went to Tiger stadium and saw Willie Horton in batting practice hit numerous balls to left field stands including one my neighbors dad caught barehanded in the upper deck, in the actual game Willie Horton hit a 3 run homerun off the facing of the upper deck in left field. Willie Horton was my favorite player ever and I watched and listened to him crush 36 home runs that year and the Tigers won the World Series against St. Louis. Also remember the riots of 1968 and Willie Horton came out a hero in that also. My dad was a truck driver and I remember him being scared when ever he had to go to the big inter cities during the riots.

My Grandpa was a old time Tiger fan and his favorite player was Charley Gehringer. He was the reason my mom turned on the radio to that last game of the season in 1967 while we ate dinner.

I was a Junior in High School when Mark (THE Bird) Fidrych came on the scene in 1976 talking to the baseball and his other off the wall antics we all loved him the team was no longer competitive, but every time he came to the mound our odds of winning that game went through the roof, and his teammates got pumped up for those games also. All of the games Mark (The Bird) Fidrych pitched were sold out and everyone was listening on the radio. Remember flipping burgers at a restaurant and the assistant manager had the game on the radio in the back where we listen to bits and pieces of the game. Also remember Willie Horton was still playing for the Tigers back in 1976 and he had a winning hit one game Mark (The Bird) Fidrych won of his victories just like he had for Denny McLain 30th victory in 1968. Going back to 1968 Denny McLain had 31 victories during the 1968 season, but Mickey Lolich who won 19 games during the regular season was the hero of the World Series. Micky Lolich won 3 games of the World Series to include beating one of the greatest pichers of all time Bob Gibson in the 7th game of the World Series.

Ironically Willie Horton became the first Seattle Mariner player to get to 100 RBIs in a season. In 1979 he had 106 RBI and Ruppert Jones ended up with 102 RBIs later that same season. Later when I moved to Washington and went to a Seattle game late 90's I saw Willie Horton walk out of the Mariners dugout he was in Seattle uniform as some kind of honorary coach for the game.

Willie Horton started serving as special assistant to the Tigers in 2003 as did Al Kaline until his death.

This was a die hard sports fan post.
                          Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 01-25-2022, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
                            Not really... I think it is a rejection of any authority whether it be science or politics. Both sides do it, but it is especially true in the current climate that one side is far more likely on this. It bears out in the demographics and political stances and in states with the lowest vax rates and legal pushback on even wearing a simple mask. I know plenty of people on both sides that have zero problem with vaccines and masks. I have family members who lean left that refuse vaxxing and masks. So yeah... I know both sides fall into the group.
                            I agree that right-leaning persons are more likely to push back on establishment views. It goes both ways, but it seems persons are content to take a stance that aligns with a group without evaluating the stance per se. Tribalism is perhaps the dynamic.

Comment

• Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
                              There is no such thing as "science" and it can't speak.

There is data. There are fields of science. There is the scientific method.

The scientific method allows you present a hypotheses (and then theory) based on data which welcomes all challenges to the conclusion. It's never settled as we are always learning more.

When people say, "look at the science" they are saying "look at this person or group's interpretation of data".

Quit using the word "science" to mean irrefutable truth. That definition already has a word: Dogma
                              Valid... but it is just as silly or actually worse to define it as being false. Ironically the people most likely to disagree with scientific data are the ones "doing their own research" and likely never took another science class after failing it in HS.

Comment

• The reason I stated weather forecasting has improved is because I had looked it up a couple of years ago.

“A trio of geoscientists with Pennsylvania State University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has published an an update in the journal Science on the state of weather forecasting. In their paper, Richard Alley, Kerry Emanuel and Fuqing Zhang report statistics demonstrating the increased accuracy of weather forecasting…”

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-geosci...-accurate.html

and

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/meteo3/node/2285

which states "The trends on the graph also indicate clear improvement in forecasts in recent decades. On average, a maximum temperature forecast for five days into the future is about as accurate today as a three-day forecast was in 2002. A seven-day maximum temperature forecast is about as accurate today as a three-day forecast was in 1990."

I was unable to copy the graph, but it is page one of the link.

Everyone on this board who has completed a scientific research project peer reviewed knows how it takes years to prepare run and interpret that study. Members of the public who do not like it, or their individual experience does not match up, or who mistake their political ideology for reality, are the most likely to dismiss research with a wave of the hand a sly remark. The best way to argue with scientific research is to conduct your own replication research, or very similar topic, and guess what, most critics do not have that much serious desire to know about this as the researchers do. And when they do, replications confirm more often than disconfirm. As my dissertation committee chairman often said "One good research project is worth more than a hundred people shooting from the hip", on that specific topic.
                                That is why land disputes can be settled by a couple of surveying outfits, and Consumer Reports is more accurate than corporate ads. etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X