Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stockton's season tickets suspended due to his defiance of McCarthey mask mandate

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daskim View Post
    All I can say is if I need surgery for anything serious, I certainly am not going to John Stockton for advice.
    Agreed. I go straight to CNN. Or Dr. Fauci, he has proven to be extremely reliable for anything medical related.

Comment

Originally posted by jayray View Post
      Agreed. I go straight to CNN. Or Dr. Fauci, he has proven to be extremely reliable for anything medical related.
      Actually, I go to my surgeon for his or her advice. Not certain what Fauci or CNN has to do with this.

Comment

John has always presented himself and the university in the most honorable way possible.

Unfortunately here he comes across differently. I’m sorry but he’s just wrong.
        The interviewer did a good job.
        One example regarding his son David:

John: “He hasn’t been called up because he’s unvaccinated.”
        SR: “you’re saying he wasn’t called up due to vaccination status.”
        John: “I don’t know”
        Birds aren’t real.

Comment

Disappointed in the states who are putting out these mandates. Ultimately I am for freedom of choice. If a business (GU) chooses to do something, that is their choice, the free market will either support that decision or not. In this case, GU made a decision (albeit directed by government regulations) and will live with the consequences. Do I think it will significantly impact the business that is GU basketball, no. But, there will be some unfortunate fallout (Stockton as an example).

Comment

Over the past three months, a TIME investigation found, hundreds of AFLD customers and donors have accused the group of touting a service promising prescriptions for ivermectin, which medical authorities say should not be taken to treat or prevent COVID-19, and failing to deliver after a fee had been paid. Some customers described being charged for consultations that did not happen. Others said they were connected to digital pharmacies that quoted excessive prices of up to $700 for the cheap medication. In more than 3,000 messages reviewed by TIME, dozens of people described their or their family members’ COVID-19 symptoms worsening while they waited for an unproven “wonder drug” that didn’t arrive.

“My mom has now been admitted to the hospital with Covid,” one user wrote Aug. 12 on the group’s channel on the messaging app Telegram. “AFLDS has not returned a call or message to her and they’ve taken over $500 out of her account!”

Since its founding last year by Dr. Simone Gold, a Los Angeles physician who was later arrested during the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, America’s Frontline Doctors has nurtured medical conspiracies popular in right-wing circles. Created as a political project to support the Trump Administration’s economic reopening push, it ricocheted from promoting skepticism about COVID-19 to launching a national RV tour to denounce “medical censorship and cancel culture.” It promoted hydroxychloroquine as a miracle drug and billed itself as a provider of legal services for people who refuse to be vaccinated or to wear a mask, or who want to stop vaccinations for children.
            LINK: https://time.com/6092368/americas-fr...isinformation/
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
              Very interesting thread. I have a few thoughts.

First, as a season ticket holder myself, I can confirm that you must either furnish proof of vaccination or a negative covid test each time you enter for a game. Given his comments, I assume Stockton is not vaxxed. Meaning he has had to go through the hassle of getting tested for each game. What a pain. It would be way easier, and better for his own health, if he just got the shot.

Two: I think we are missing a much more important point here. Perhaps Stockton, as Jazz says, is “nuts.” Perhaps he’s right and the entire scientific and medical community is wrong about the safety of vaccines.

Set that aside for a moment.

What bothers me more than anything else is that Stockton conflates vaccine safety somehow with wearing a mask.

Whether vaccines pose a risk or cause harm, one thing we no with ironclad certainty is that wearing a mask causes no harm to anyone. It increases his risk of anything by zero. So even if he believes a mask doesn’t help, he certainly can’t claim it will hurt.

It’s embarrassing to see one of our most noted alumni speak out in a way that reveals such feeble critical thinking. As a graduate of Gonzaga I’d expect more. And it’s disappointing that this is what brings Stockton out of his normal private self to speak out.

Finally, I could not be more proud of the university for sticking to its guns and not making some sort of exception or accommodation. Stockton is almost certainly our most famous and prominent living alum. That the university stood firm here makes me proud.
              These are the points. This is solely about wearing a mask. A selfless act. Something you really do for others more than your self. It’s that simple. Say what you want about anything else, but wearing a mask is no different than wearing an article of clothing and in this case the article could help someone. Shouldn’t that be enough? Even if it’s not guaranteed. It’s an effortless task that harms no one. It’s amazing how anyone could make it controversial. Especially people that follow or even went to a Jesuit school. Be better folks. Care for others. It’s not about you.

Comment

Originally posted by AirborneJag View Post
                Glad the University finally took action and I support the AD 100% on this. Stockton has received plenty of warning as have others. He just doesn’t believe the rules apply to him because he is John Stockton. And in part, his behavior influences others. There were 3 Silicone Barbie Dolls in lower Section 113 on Thursday night that didn’t think the rules applied to them either, or believed they couldn’t cover up all of that attractiveness with a mask. After some yelling by me and others in my section, the ushers finally made their way down and told them to mask up, which they sorta did.

Look, the rules are the rules. I don’t like wearing a mask during the games either. But as a condition of entry into the game, a mask is required. It’s just that simple. If you don’t want to wear a mask for any reason, don’t show up. It may surprise some, but you have no legal right to enter McCarthy Center as it is a private not a public facility. Your privilege of using a ticket, whether a single game ticket or a season ticket, is conditioned on the rules set by the University for admission. Period. It used to be said in the Catholic Church, “you are free to disagree with the Pope; you are not free however to disobey”. I learned that from a Jesuit when I was an undergrad at Gonzaga in the last century. In this context, you are not free to disregard wearing a mask at the games no matter who you are.

So if you are a season ticket holder who supports Stockton and will not come to the games because you have to wear a mask, that’s your choice. Have at it. But if you think you are making a statement, you’re not. And you won’t be missed by those of us who are willing to do what it takes to keep the players healthy and the games going. Plenty of people will gladly take your seats.
                This.

Comment

The CCP must be very proud of you.
                  "The Tipping Point - How little things can make a big difference" Malcom Gladwell

When you're playing for the national championship, It's not a matter of life and death, it's more important than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                    I did not know Reno went to the Community College of Philadelphia.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      “I think it’s highly recorded now, there’s 150 I believe now, it’s over 100 professional athletes dead – professional athletes – the prime of their life, dropping dead that are vaccinated, right on the pitch, right on the field, right on the court,” Stockton said in the interview.

He’s nuts.
                      He's doing his own research, y'know.
                      History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by vandalzag View Post
                        I did not know Reno went to the Community College of Philadelphia.
                        Neither did I. . .
                        The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
                          Even in a thread that has been kept "open" .... insulting other members will still earn a time out.
                          sigpic
                          “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                          ——-
                          List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                          Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Originally posted by jayray View Post
                            I go straight to CNN. Or Dr. Fauci
                            Seriously? That's not sarcasm is it?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                              GU has the right to set these guidelines. While you and Stockton disagree, surely you don’t belief his statement about 150 prominent athletes dropping dead. That’s scary stuff, CPS stuff.
                              Do you think the VAERS data is BS too?

Comment

We talk about statistics a lot on the board discussing basketball. Just thought I would compare statistics from a state with no mask mandate to Washington. In Texas there have been 267 deaths per 100,000 citizens from Covid and there is no mask mandate here. In Washington state there has been 134 deaths per 100,000 citizens. I know there are other factors that make a difference, but certainly it seems that a strong case could be made for wearing masks. The statistics I have cited are as of January 20, 2022 and are available on the website Statista.com.

Comment

Working...
                                X