Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stockton's season tickets suspended due to his defiance of McCarthey mask mandate

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I have known Stockton's opinions about vaccines and other medical matters, but this comes as a surprise.
    I'm glad that the university enforces rules, and I'm sad that Stockton decided to be so public about this.

That is, I agree with Sinto:
    Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    It’s embarrassing to see one of our most noted alumni speak out in a way that reveals such feeble critical thinking. As a graduate of Gonzaga I’d expect more. And it’s disappointing that this is what brings Stockton out of his normal private self to speak out.

Finally, I could not be more proud of the university for sticking to its guns and not making some sort of exception or accommodation. Stockton is almost certainly our most famous and prominent living alum. That the university stood firm here makes me proud.
    Last edited by GU69; 01-23-2022, 08:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

In the US there are 100 athletes a year who die within a month of eating a big mac.
      In the US there are 100 athletes a year who die within a month of doing strenuous excercise.
      In the US there are 100 athletes a year who die within a month of having a beer.
      In the US there are 100 athletes a year who die within a month of going to Church.
      Undergrad logic and scientific method, correlation does not equal causation.
      In my opinion a world wide epidemic that continues to rage along for two years is all about WE, not about ME.
      Licking this thing is a team effort. Wearing a mask even though you oppose the regulation is what all citizens do; they all follows rules at private facilities even when they think that rule is a bad rule. Guess why polio, malaria, typhus, yellow fever, scarlet fever, aren't raging for two years right now?
      Its about taking a hit for the team. I don't like wearing the masks, I just do, like doing 65 in a 60 mph speed limit when I would rather go 75.
      These are my opinions, and I am glad I live in a country, and am a member of a Board that allows respectful differences of opinion.
      Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 01-24-2022, 07:15 AM.

Comment

I'm very surprised by the number of posters here who are so quick to throw Stockton under the bus so fast.

So disappointing. He is a major donor. Everyone heavily involved in the program knows this. His facility and games act as an informal gathering place for many returning alumni of the program, and even as a positive recruiting tool.

I'm more than happy to give a flyer to a guy who has otherwise done so much good, is a loyal multi-generational Zag, and continues, with his family, to be such a positive influence for many in the Spokane and GU community.

And let's please stop pretending that he's harming a bunch of people by not wearing it to a GU game. When attending a game, he would have just tested negative and he's in a room full of vaccinated people.
        "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Comment

Originally posted by HillZag View Post
          I'm very surprised by the number of posters here who are so quick to throw Stockton under the bus so fast.

So disappointing. He is a major donor. Everyone heavily involved in the program knows this. His facility and games act as an informal gathering place for many returning alumni of the program, and even as a positive recruiting tool.

I'm more than happy to give a flyer to a guy who has otherwise done so much good, is a loyal multi-generational Zag, and continues, with his family, to be such a positive influence for many in the Spokane and GU community.

And let's please stop pretending that he's harming a bunch of people by not wearing it to a GU game. When attending a game, he would have just tested negative and he's in a room full of vaccinated people.
          i could care less if he's harming anyone or not...wearing a mask is a rule for attending, he's got to follow the rules like everyone else. no different than wearing a seat belt. what's the slogan -- "click it or ticket"?

Comment

Originally posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
            i could care less if he's harming anyone or not...wearing a mask is a rule for attending, he's got to follow the rules like everyone else. no different than wearing a seat belt.
            In this state, that is true. I'm not arguing that. I'm directing my comments to the multiple posters pretending that he's doing harm to somebody or other by not wearing a mask.
            "My golf is woeful, but I will never surrender."--Bing Crosby

Comment

Originally posted by HillZag View Post

You don't get a pass based on past good deeds, you don't get a pass based on the size of your donations. You get to follow the rules like everyone else. According to the article in the Spokesman-Review, the university and Stockton met several times to discuss options which would satisfy both sides. The suspension of his season tickets was a last resort by the university.

Obviously, John did not want to follow the rules. Not following the rules leads to consequences, even for the Stocktons.
              ZagDad

Comment

Synchronicity II was better, but one (I)...prescient...

1983, a few years before Stockton graduated...

I'm not going to comment on the inanity of some people here. I've said my peace for all to hear from a medical perspective.

Just listen and enjoy.

A connecting principle
                Linked to the invisible
                Almost imperceptible
                Something inexpressible
                Science insusceptible
                Logic so inflexible
                Causally connectable
                Yet nothing is invincible

If we share this nightmare
                Then we can dream
                Spiritus mundi

I go away for a couple days and you guys manage to blow up the board. I've got lots of popcorn to keep going until the thread will inevitably come to a quiet, moderated end. I hope not, but continue on. I prefer adding drama now then getting all scientific. Pretty sure the boneheads supporting the whacko with no degree related to anything scientific will continue to fly into the fan at the top of the bubble tower, like in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I don't care how many assists you have. The one guy that assists you out of the arena is going to be my hero. "Please, don't go!"

With one breath
                With one flow
                You will know.

--The Police

Comment

Personally I would like to hear more discussion about the future and how our extremely bright group here envision the End Game in all this. The fact is this is a virus and it will never be totally defeated, it will be here long term. Those who don't know the difference between a virus and bacterial infection should learn the difference.
                  So the hope for all of us regardless of what news outlet you choose to camp with is that we can get to a point we can resume our lives as we knew them. Some will never let this go and are gaining from it's exploitation for profit or other. Isn't the stated goal to reach endemic rather than pandemic? I watch all news channels and universally what it sounds like is eventually every one of us will indeed get infected by this virus because like the common cold it isn't going away and it is extremely infectious. For one, I don't underestimate the human body's ability to eventually fight this with exposure over time. With what looks like some encouraging treatment options on the horizon, can't we see some light at the end of the tunnel?
                  One comment coming from several doctors of immunology I have read and heard, is that the sooner we get mass infection, the sooner we will get to endemic state or herd immunity. I'm not advocating we all run out and intentionally getting infected by any means, just looking for logical thoughts on this proposition from you. Who knows what to believe in all this confusion and questionable data. It's not political now is it? Let's use our collective minds and sense to sort through this for the greater good for all and be less tribal.
                  One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

Any news on Doc or Woo Hoo, just to inject some reality into the invective?

Comment

• While I disagree with the protocol/effectiveness of wearing a cloth mask thinner than toilet paper, I have to respect the University for being consistent with their enforcement with everyone.
                      "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                        I've been wondering the same thing.
                        One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                          There’s no need to drag them into this

Comment

• The WA gov site says “masks are still required on sidelines and in team meetings”.

I don’t see players(on the sideline) or coaches or broadcasters wearing masks in the kennel.

Comment

• Gonzaga is receiving around 20% national public support on this and a 80% negative reaction to suspending Stockton’s tickets. I guarantee you the people complained the game are wearing fake N-95 Masks or wearing cloth both of which offer zero protection per the CDC. If you are that worried getting Covid then don’t attend the 6000 plus people who are coughing, belching, and farting. #TeamStockton.

If GU pushes this issue publicly any further then you’ll see donations dry up and I’ll be one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                                Gonzaga is receiving around 20% national public support on this and a 80% negative reaction to suspending Stockton’s tickets. I guarantee you the people complained the game are wearing fake N-95 Masks or wearing cloth both of which offer zero protection per the CDC. If you are that worried getting Covid then don’t attend the 6000 plus people who are coughing, belching, and farting. #TeamStockton.

If GU pushes this issue publicly any further then you’ll see donations dry up and I’ll be one of them.
                                Doing the right thing isn't about public opinion. Or donations.

You may disagree with the mask policy, but I don't know how a reasonable person can believe it's not the choice of the GU administration to set their rules and the choice of others to decide whether or not to attend.

The stats are clear on vaccines. They are clear on masks. I wear one around Covid+ patients frequently at the hospital and I've never had a positive test. Do they work in a stadium of 6000? Not sure, don't care as pertains to this debate. It's Gonzaga University not Stockton University. He chose to break the rules, the consequences are only logical.

Comment

Working...
                                X