X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Led Zeppelin & GU grew up together

http://www.enzepplopedia.com/archives/article1.php
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Amazing bit of rock n roll history. . .thanks for posting this, gamagin !
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
      Amazing bit of rock n roll history. . .thanks for posting this, gamagin !
      Seconded.
      sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

Dude, that is awesome.
        I wear a helmet while internetting.
        sigpic

Comment

Awesome story. Were any of you there?

I got to catch Paige and Plant at the Gorge many years ago when they played accompanied by a symphony. It was great.

Comment

Seem to recall reading this trip almost killed them- combination of lifestyle and driving in a snowstorm.
            We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

Comment

So this means I can say that I have something in common with Led Zepp:

We were all wasted at one point on the GU campus. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
                So this means I can say that I have something in common with Led Zepp:

We were all wasted at one point on the GU campus. . .
                :applause:
                I wear a helmet while internetting.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zagpower View Post
                  Were any of you there?
                  Rub's parents were still in elementary school when this happened.
                  sigpic Just Foo'in around.

Comment

Gee, I was in elementary school when this happened. . .that must make me OLD

Comment

The 68/9 winter was one of the snowiest on record. This year in Spokaloo may have broken it, but we were starting on a record by late Dec 68. Many students were stranded in Spokane for a few extra days after classes let out for Christmas break because of a big snowstorm. I don't remember that particular night being extra cold.

I did not see the concert, I was working for the Great Northern Railroad over the holidays and I was in Wenatchee. I remember that because the next night, New Years Eve, I was waist deep in snow up near Brewster moving box cars around.

There are underground tapes of this concert that still survive. Zeppelin collectors covet them, though I've heard the quality is pretty rough.

It was just a couple months or so earlier that Steppenwolf came to the Coliseum and their opening act was a then unheard of group called Three Dog Night. Steppenwolf had all sorts of technical problems and ended up playing only about 30 to 45 mins, much of it accompanied by boos. Three Dog Night stole the show. "Easy to be Hard", their first gold record and top 10 hit came in 69 I believe.

Abe should know a good deal more about all this, he was a promoter too.
                      Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                      All mimsy were the borogoves,
                      And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

Wow! Some of you guys are youngsters. I remember going to see a Ted Nugent Concert at CWU in Ellensburg in the late 70's or early 80's and watched Ted get blown off the stage by an unknown opening act of Sammy Hagar.

Comment

If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a bootleg of that 1968 concert on the interwebs.

Comment

excellent find and

Originally posted by Karlos2121 View Post
                            If you look hard enough, you'll be able to find a bootleg of that 1968 concert on the interwebs.

post !

thanks,
                            Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                            Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                            Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

The ad from the Spokesman reproduced in the story brought back many memories.

Over various summers, I worked at the Garland, Post, North Cedar and East Sprague theatres/drive-ins. Back in those days, they were a local chain called "Favorite Theaters." Joe Rosenfield was the owner. Joe later sold the chain to SRO--Sterling Recreation Organization.

Then there's the ad for the Cinema. Old timers will remember the Cinema and the El Rey.
                              You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

Working...
                              X