• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexasZagFan
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Alum08 View Post
    "Here, let me tell you why string theory proves the existence of God..."

I don't want to get into the formality of the argument, but would like to point out that it takes an active and compelling mind to meld and digest those topics for discourse.
    Beer or wine helps during the discourse of weighty topics. I was not at all fazed when the bill for the 6 of us at our watch party exceeded $200...my beer tab alone was over $40. Thankfully, my wife joined us for the event, and drove home.

Comment

• BoZarth
      Kennel Club Material
      • Feb 2007

This is so tough. So many players come to mind. Mark Spink popped in first because of the image I still have in my mind of him battling future NBAer Mark Madson of Stanford. If I was coaching GU I'd show video of Spink to each and every player to illustrate what it means to compete. But, hey, GoZags beat me to it.

So many studs have put on the Zag uniform. So, I'm going with David Pendergraft. I'd splice in some Pendo with the Spink highlights. In my opinion, the closest the program came to having the streak of NCAA tournaments bids come to an end was the 2006-07 season. Remember arguably our best player Josh Heytvelt was suspended, and with no real marque wins other than #13 UW, of course, a loss in the WCC tournament would've probably sent the team to the NIT. Pendo stepped up big in the WCC tournament championship game to beat Santa Clara on their homecourt.

Go Zags!!!!

Comment

• Hooray4Daye&Gray
        Kennel Club Alum
        • Oct 2008

I feel Adam is the most vindicated, but shout out to Sam Dower from my home state of Minnesota. A decade or so after Monson leaves GU for MN, a player from MN spurns the Gophers to play for the Zags. Great talent, great passion, and proved we can recruit talent from anywhere in the country.

Comment

• NJZag
          Professional Zag Fan
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jim77 View Post
          Lot of GREAT ones here.

I'll go with one of the nicest persons I've ever met....Ronny Turiaf. He came to the Bismarck civic center while playing for the Yakima Sun kings. Ronny had just come back from his heart surgery. I personally had ben injured and was VERY unsure of my future. After the game me and my family waited to see if we could get his autograph. Not only did we get his autograph...but the guy sat there and talked to us for prolly 20 minutes. Again, prolly one of the nicest people I have ever met on God's green Earth. This world needs more like him.

As many GREAT ball players that GU has produced...they produce GREATER human beings.
          He was at the San Jose games and still the same friendly Ronny -- happy to chat about old times / good times on the campus. He mentioned he stays in touch with Dan and they reminisce about what an amazing ride their collegiate playing careers were.

Comment

• Robzagnut
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Austin Daye - the forgotten Zag. He was the first to leave 2 years early, so we didn't get to know him as well as others. 6' 10" with a feathery touch. Not sure why some don't like him, but he's a Zag through-and through. Maybe because he got that smirk when he got called for a foul? Was watching the tournament this year and a player jumped and tried to block a shot at the 3 point line and fouled the shooter. One announcer said, "You should never leave your feet to try and block a 3 point shot. When was the last time you saw someone block a 3 point shot?"

And I thought at that time, "You never saw Austin Daye play defense on the perimeter."

Comment

• SunDevilGolfZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I could easily name a dozen but I'm going with Elias Harris. One of our all time greats and was so kind to kids (my little boy in particular on a couple of occasions). A great one.

Comment

• gueastcoast
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Because he hasn't been named: Heytfelt. Freak athlete and redemption story, also a very decent human being. Heytvelt > Hansbrough at the Garden....'nuff said. Great profile-raiser for us in the east.
                Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2008

Rob Sacre. Big dude, biggest personality.

What I remember clearest about his on-court time was his Mano-a-mano duel with Delly during the 2012 WCC tourney. It gave me goosebumps watching it as it was happening, and still does.
                  History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• NotoriousZ
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Since most of my favorites have been mentioned (Adam, Knight, Frahm, and Pargo come to mind), I'll pick Gary Bell Jr.

Sweet jumper, awesome D, and one of the nicest persons you'll ever meet.
                    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• azzagfan
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Apr 2007

I've always loved the Eastern Washington guys who helped the community feel a real bond with the Zags

Jeff Brown
                      Ryan Floyd
                      Jeremy Eaton
                      Adam Morrison
                      Sean Mallon
                      David Pendergraft
                      David Stockton

The bond of bigger cities, international flavor and some home cooking is a great mix.

As the program has grown bigger, these guys have kept the heart of Spokane and the Inland Empire with the program.

Comment

• caduceus
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2007

Can't forget the pride of Bonney Lake -- big Will Foster!

Comment

• MJ777
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                          Can't forget the pride of Bonney Lake -- big Will Foster!

The guy stuck it out and gave it his all. The block against Samham was epic.

Comment

• JPW314159
                            Kennel Club
                            • Mar 2010

I don't post often, but I spend many hours reading these threads. My choice is not so much for the playing career of a Zag, but for the posting career of a Zag. Reborn, I'm talking about you. I hope you somehow can make it to Glendale.
                            Last edited by JPW314159; 03-28-2017, 01:43 AM. Reason: duh...Reborn, not Reunion

Comment

• Club Prez
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

I will nominate the kid that lead my former high school to its only state basketball championship in over 50 years & showed great determination in his GU career - former walk-on Kyle Bankhead.

Comment

• ZionZag
                                Kennel Club
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Club Prez View Post
                                I will nominate the kid that lead my former high school to its only state basketball championship in over 50 years & showed great determination in his GU career - former walk-on Kyle Bankhead.
                                Was that WW " WA HIGH"?

Comment

Working...
                                X