Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey man, so glad you pulled through. Barnes/WashU is an amazing hospital complex and you were in great hands I am sure!

Comment

I know 40-50 people in medicine and their fatigue, sadness, and even mild frustration has hung over them for 2 years, but it has been more acute for the last year. Your observations about the people on ventilators and who die are corroborated by 100’s of medical journal reports and studies, and all of my friends’ observations of the acutely ill are identical to what you saw. When my friends advocate for the vaccine, they are literally attacked by the people they will one day work so hard to save. When the message comes from a survivor like you, the recommendation seems very clear, powerful, and unbiased by any agenda or motive, other than to help people avoid your experience or worse.

Welcome back and take great joy in the opportunity you have earned to value everything from your family down to the mundane. Despite voices that seek to divide, we could all use some reminders and some appreciation of the mere gift of living. Your post is that reminder.

Comment

I'm not trying to justify people's negative reaction to people not being vaxxed but it important to understand the perspective of people that react that way. The vaccine isn't just about you, it's about the people around you and society as a whole. You are less likely to get COVID and spread COVID if you get the vaccine, these are undisputable facts. There are those among us that have weak immune systems, some have legitimate medical reasons to not get vaxxed. Getting the vaccine is just as much about protecting those people as it is about protecting yourself. People have family members that need not have died because people are not taking this as seriously as they should be. They are angry and they should be angry.

And after two years some people are at a boiling point, they are tired of having to explain why a Facebook meme is not science and are frustrated how there could be so many people still in the dark about basic facts about the pandemic and the vaccine.

I wholeheartedly disagree with people that lash out at people who suffered like you just because you didn't get the vaccine. I think that's cruel, but I do understand where they are coming from. I'm very glad you made it through, I hope your story can push some people that are still on the fence about getting the vaccine to finally do it.

Comment

Thank you for sharing you're story.

I'm just THANKFUL that you are healthy and back with you're family.

Comment

My 73 year old sister fell and broke her hip yesterday. She called and the ambulance came and got her off the floor. Once in Emergency she waited 8 hours to see a doctor. They didn’t have a room for her. She finally lucked out when a patient died and got a room.

Really ? You mean my sister had to be in pain waiting 8 hours til all the unvaccinated people got shipped over from Idaho with Covid got treated ?

I kept you in my heart with light and love through your dark night WooHoo and commend you on sharing your experience however … I am damned pissed at those who love their freedom above the welfare of our community.
            Please everyone get vaccinated so we may all one day take off the masks of political partisanship!
            humanity is one family ... with one heart

Comment

Your heartfelt accounting of your experience so much comports with all the patients that I and my colleagues have seen. Disbelief at first, then, a tube into the trachea. At the point of intubation, you fell on the lucky side, and it's probably because you were athletic and active (and likely some other factors). Eight days on the vent gets you very close to tracheotomy.

I know you've received the brunt of the "not being vaccinated" arguments, but in my experience, there are a lot of people that just don't follow the news or have "more important things" to do, like work or taking care of family matters. Often, it takes a catastrophic event to open one's eyes. Having seen so much morbidity and mortality from this virus, I commend you that you're advocating the measures that all of us in the medical community have been advocating since the beginning. You took the time to listen, and learn from people who know. Your inquisitive mind follows the Jesuit tradition that GU espouses. Historical faith gets questioned if there's something that factually overrides that. Thank God for the Jesuits that showed intelligence and facts really do mean something.

No one thinks about Public Health people until there's a real public health matter. Even then, no one thinks about Public Health people. They are the ones that keep you from dying from eating processed salads or a hamburger that wasn't cooked to 140°F. They don't get nearly enough credit. They save lives EVERY DAY.

Meanwhile... even though apparently mild Omicron is 99% of infections at this point, we are seeing over 3,000 deaths a day -- a record. That's one and a half 9/11 events A. DAY. Omicron is only mild for the ones that got mild reactions. We got so worked up about September 11, 2001, but the current equivalent is just another day. The ignorant idiots that are still advocating that Covid should wash over the population so we can get back to "normal" is appalling. Vaccinations save lives like nothing else in this pandemic. You've seen it with your own eyes.

I know you have many issues to grapple with in your recovery. Muscle atrophy is no joke. The emotional aspects of feeling vulnerable, especially as a father, are no joke. It changes you. I dearly wish all that you have experienced makes you better, and I know it will. It's true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Take that bit and run with it. Every day is precious from now on.

Best,

=cad=

Comment

Originally posted by abarefootboy View Post
                My 73 year old sister fell and broke her hip yesterday. She called and the ambulance came and got her off the floor. Once in Emergency she waited 8 hours to see a doctor. They didn’t have a room for her. She finally lucked out when a patient died and got a room.

Really ? You mean my sister had to be in pain waiting 8 hours til all the unvaccinated people got shipped over from Idaho with Covid got treated ?

I kept you in my heart with light and love through your dark night WooHoo and commend you on sharing your experience however … I am damned pissed at those who love their freedom above the welfare of our community.
                Please everyone get vaccinated so we may all one day take off the masks of political partisanship!
                I’m SO sorry about your sister…what a horrific situation, and it would be ridiculous for someone to expect you to not be unbelievably frustrated. I’m sorry.

I hope she is okay…
                Last edited by gozagswoohoo; 01-27-2022, 05:40 AM.
                Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

Originally posted by caduceus View Post
                  Your heartfelt accounting of your experience so much comports with all the patients that I and my colleagues have seen. Disbelief at first, then, a tube into the trachea. At the point of intubation, you fell on the lucky side, and it's probably because you were athletic and active (and likely some other factors). Eight days on the vent gets you very close to tracheotomy.

I know you've received the brunt of the "not being vaccinated" arguments, but in my experience, there are a lot of people that just don't follow the news or have "more important things" to do, like work or taking care of family matters. Often, it takes a catastrophic event to open one's eyes. Having seen so much morbidity and mortality from this virus, I commend you that you're advocating the measures that all of us in the medical community have been advocating since the beginning. You took the time to listen, and learn from people who know. Your inquisitive mind follows the Jesuit tradition that GU espouses. Historical faith gets questioned if there's something that factually overrides that. Thank God for the Jesuits that showed intelligence and facts really do mean something.

No one thinks about Public Health people until there's a real public health matter. Even then, no one thinks about Public Health people. They are the ones that keep you from dying from eating processed salads or a hamburger that wasn't cooked to 140°F. They don't get nearly enough credit. They save lives EVERY DAY.

Meanwhile... even though apparently mild Omicron is 99% of infections at this point, we are seeing over 3,000 deaths a day -- a record. That's one and a half 9/11 events A. DAY. Omicron is only mild for the ones that got mild reactions. We got so worked up about September 11, 2001, but the current equivalent is just another day. The ignorant idiots that are still advocating that Covid should wash over the population so we can get back to "normal" is appalling. Vaccinations save lives like nothing else in this pandemic. You've seen it with your own eyes.

I know you have many issues to grapple with in your recovery. Muscle atrophy is no joke. The emotional aspects of feeling vulnerable, especially as a father, are no joke. It changes you. I dearly wish all that you have experienced makes you better, and I know it will. It's true that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Take that bit and run with it. Every day is precious from now on.

Best,

=cad=
                  Thank you for this post cad…

Thank you to everyone for your input and perspectives in this thread. It means a lot to me.

Comment

Originally posted by caduceus View Post

Best,

=cad=
                    Great post

Comment

The thing I struggle with the most on a personal level is the misinformation suggesting that "healthy people don't get that sick from COVID." For one, it's a very ableist and ageist. I had to watch a teen leukemia survivor who was in full remission post bone marrow transplant die of COVID. It was horrifying and sad and it makes me sick to my stomach as a result when I hear things like "well only people with pre-existing conditions..."

It's also why I'm so appreciative of Woohoo sharing his story, because it shows that even ostensibly very healthy, young, active people can have really bad outcomes. I am guilty of sometimes having an unfair amount of anger and frustration towards those who aren't vaccinated, and in my bubble of mostly medical people it helps me to put a human face on the abstraction of the unvaccinated person. I know you are a great person (thought I've never met you) and that is an important reminder to me. It really helps a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
                        The thing I struggle with the most on a personal level is the misinformation suggesting that "healthy people don't get that sick from COVID." For one, it's a very ableist and ageist. I had to watch a teen leukemia survivor who was in full remission post bone marrow transplant die of COVID. It was horrifying and sad and it makes me sick to my stomach as a result when I hear things like "well only people with pre-existing conditions..."

It's also why I'm so appreciative of Woohoo sharing his story, because it shows that even ostensibly very healthy, young, active people can have really bad outcomes. I am guilty of sometimes having an unfair amount of anger and frustration towards those who aren't vaccinated, and in my bubble of mostly medical people it helps me to put a human face on the abstraction of the unvaccinated person. I know you are a great person (thought I've never met you) and that is an important reminder to me. It really helps a lot.
                        Wow. How sad…

And YOUR post also helps me put (another) human face on the opposite side of my former argument as well. Thank you for posting…

Comment

I am very glad you’re okay Nathan. And very happy you decided to get vaccinated. I live in Ireland, the covid is real and it’s everywhere and has nothing to do with American politics. I have a friend working in Dublin hospital and the stories she told me you rather never heard about. Stay safe you all.
                          Last edited by Irish_eliZAG; 01-27-2022, 09:58 AM.
                          Probably the only Gonzaga fan in Ireland!

Comment

You are a good man. And not just because you love the Zags (although that does help). Thanks for sharing this.

Comment

I'm very thankful you came out of this the way you did Woohoo! So happy for you and your family that you pulled through.

Get Vaccinated people.
                              john montana
                              http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nathan, I am so happy that you are on the mend. I was so worried about you and your family. What a horrible thing to have to go through. Thank you for being so honest in sharing your story.

Comment

Working...
                                X