2022 Baseball HOF Class is a very, very short list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Baseball HOF Class is a very, very short list

David Ortiz: elected to Hall of Fame on first ballot. He's the only member of the Class of 2022.

"Big Papi" joins a notable list of Red Sox first ballot HOFers:

Ted Williams (1966)
    Carl Yastrzemski (1989)
    Wade Boggs (2005)
    Pedro Martinez (2015)

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens: denied on 10th and final BBWAA ballot.

Bonds and Clemens now can be considered by veterans' committees.

Ortiz is the 3rd player who started his career in the #Mariners organization to reach the HOF. The others, of course, were Ken Griffey Jr. and Edgar Martinez.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-26-2022, 07:53 AM.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
    David Ortiz: elected to Hall of Fame on first ballot. He's the only member of the Class of 2022.

"Big Papi" joins a notable list of Red Sox first ballot HOFers:
    Ted Williams (1966)
    Carl Yastrzemski (1989)
    Wade Boggs (2005)
    Pedro Martinez (2015)

Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens: denied on 10th and final BBWAA ballot.

Bonds and Clemens now can be considered by veterans' committees.

Ortiz is the 3rd player who started his career in the #Mariners organization to reach the HOF. The others, of course, were Ken Griffey Jr. and Edgar Martinez.
    it's funny that Bonds and Clemens get punished for steroid use and Ortiz gets first ballot...
    Bring back the OCC

Comment

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
      it's funny that Bonds and Clemens get punished for steroid use and Ortiz gets first ballot...
      Ortiz handled the media well-enough that the BBWAA guys gave him a free pass. Bonds and Clemens ticked off the wrong people, were tainted by the Mitchell Report, and the rest, as they say, is history. Neither Bonds nor Clemens ever failed a PED test; Ortiz did.

Remember when Baseball HOF ballot announcements were the most controversial thing on the sports calendar ? Now it feels like just one more thing to add to the polarization pile. . .
      Last edited by RenoZag; 01-26-2022, 07:53 AM.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
        Ortiz handled the media well-enough that the BBWAA guys gave him a free pass. Bonds and Clemens ticked off the wrong people, were tainted by the Mitchell Report, and the rest, as they say, is history. Neither Bond nor Clemens ever failed a PED test; Ortiz did.

Remember when Baseball HOF ballot announcements were the most controversial thing on the sports calendar ? Now it feels like just one more thing to add to the polarization pile. . .
        I think you're right, but what a ridiculous reason to keep someone out. I don't like Curt Schilling, but if I thought his numbers were hall of fame worthy I wouldn't hesitate to vote him in.
        Bring back the OCC

Comment

Clemens will get in via veteran committee IMHO... Bonds broke two sacred records while being obviously on steroids... I think he is in Pete Rose territory... never gonna happen for him.

Schilling wins (216) IMHO are a bit low for a HOF appearance. If he were in the high 200s or crossed the 300 threshold he'd get in with our without his controversial off the field stuff.
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
            Clemens will get in via veteran committee IMHO... Bonds broke two sacred records while being obviously on steroids... I think he is in Pete Rose territory... never gonna happen for him.

Schilling wins (216) IMHO are a bit low for a HOF appearance. If he were in the high 200s or crossed the 300 threshold he'd get in with our without his controversial off the field stuff.
            Schilling is borderline for me. He was one of the most dominant pitcher in baseball for a number of years, had great playoff success. With Jack Morris in then Schilling definitely should be in.
            Bring back the OCC

Comment

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
              Schilling is borderline for me. He was one of the most dominant pitcher in baseball for a number of years, had great playoff success. With Jack Morris in then Schilling definitely should be in.
              Grew up loving Jack... but honestly he probably shouldn't be there as well.
              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

good story about Schilling and why he was a late bloomer

The Ringer: The Uniquely Confounding Career of Curt Schilling
                Bring back the OCC

Comment

Working...
                X