Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Doubtful 2020-2021 Season vs COVID19

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Doubtful 2020-2021 Season vs COVID19

    The wife and I sat down a few minutes ago (even though she is a Michigan Grad, she only follows GU, except when they play Appalachian State) and were discussing how we could have a season.

    California isn't going to allow sports at their universities until January 2021 so how will that effect GU, Portland and BYU?

    With Arizona having a few cases of the COVID19 popping up now and again, UA said they may not have on-campus classes; subsequently no sports so how are we going to have a return match with them.

    Then there is out game with TT in Phoenix and that probably isn't going to happen.

    NYC probably isn't going to allow games either...

    We won't have a game with USC in Portland.

    Home games are going to be a nightmare, because how do we keep our players, staff, administration and their families virus free...we'd have to isolate all those people...how can the players go to classes and be guaranteed they won't come in contact with someone with the virus. The opposing teams will have the same problems to overcome.

    Don't see how we can over come all these concerns and still have any kind of season!

    Today, Florida has 10K more cases and the Mayor of Jacksonville Beach will keep the beach open for this holiday!!! South Dakota is going to have a massive party at Mr. Rushmore and the governor says "We will not social distance!"

    It is just unlikely that a season will evolve out of this pandemic, because at present, there are no "Adults" supervising all these teenagers. The Lt. Gov of Texas basically calls Fauci at ignorant idiot. My governor (SC) won't mandate masks because he says it isn't enforceable. The golf courses where I play in Sun City Hilton Head, allows non-family member from the same household to ride in the same golf cart together so how do you social distance!!!

    The AZ Governor refuses to make wearing face coverings mandatory and the sheriff of one of the counties around Phoenix, says he won't enforce the Mayor's decision that EVERYONE in public wear face coverings.

    Tell me this isn't crazy...so as I said we need an "adult in the room" and so far there isn't one who has stood up!

    No, I don't believe we will have a season and just IF our star recruit doesn't show I understand why...

    This is a crazy time in our lives where we have people are more concerned about their individual freedoms than the good of the country and our country will suffer from all this lack of leadership...

    Too bad we can't roll the clock back to January...

    So how are we going to spend our Thursday and Saturday eveningS and what about our discussions on this board?

    Have a GREAT Birthday Weekend and Stay Safe!
    Last edited by Bogozags; 07-02-2020, 02:24 PM.

  • #2
    Time for creative ways to use zoom because at this rate we are going to run out of fresh entertainment period.

    We only had a hundred years to get ready for the next pandemic and we are using the same stay at home policy, social distancing and face covering recommended in 1918 but without the enforcement.
    Bonjour tristesse.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
      The wife and I sat down a few minutes ago (even though she is a Michigan Grad, she only follows GU, except when they play Appalachian State) and were discussing how we could have a season.

      California isn't going to allow sports at their universities until January 2021 so how will that effect GU, Portland and BYU?

      With Arizona having a few cases of the COVID19 popping up now and again, UA said they may not have on-campus classes; subsequently no sports so how are we going to have a return match with them.

      Then there is out game with TT in Phoenix and that probably isn't going to happen.

      NYC probably isn't going to allow games either...

      We won't have a game with USC in Portland.

      Home games are going to be a nightmare, because how do we keep our players, staff, administration and their families virus free...we'd have to isolate all those people...how can the players go to classes and be guaranteed they won't come in contact with someone with the virus. The opposing teams will have the same problems to overcome.

      Don't see how we can over come all these concerns and still have any kind of season!

      Today, Florida has 10K more cases and the Mayor of Jacksonville Beach will keep the beach open for this holiday!!! South Dakota is going to have a massive party at Mr. Rushmore and the governor says "We will not social distance!"

      It is just unlikely that a season will evolve out of this pandemic, because at present, there are no "Adults" supervising all these teenagers. The Lt. Gov of Texas basically calls Fauci at ignorant idiot. My governor (SC) won't mandate masks because he says it isn't enforceable. The golf courses where I play in Sun City Hilton Head, allows non-family member from the same household to ride in the same golf cart together so how do you social distance!!!

      The AZ Governor is refuses to make wearing face coverings mandatory and the sheriff of one of the counties around Phoenix, says he won't enforce the Mayor's decision that EVERYONE in public wear face coverings.

      Tell me this isn't crazy...so as I said we need an "adult in the room" and so far there isn't one who has stood up!

      No, I don't believe we will have a season and just IF our star recruit doesn't show I understand why...

      This is a crazy time in our lives where we have people are more concerned about their individual freedoms than the good of the country and our country will suffer from all this lack of leadership...

      Too bad we can't roll the clock back to January...

      So how are we going to spend our Thursday and Saturday evening and what about our discussions on this board?

      Have a GREAT Birthday Weekend and Stay Safe!
      It may be delayed but I’d say 80% likelihood a season happens. It’s June, the season is in November..a lot can happen between now and then


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        Being secluded at home, I recently watched the 60 year old version of the movie "War of the Worlds".

        If COVID can kick the Martian asses, then we don't stand a chance.

        No season. Ain't happening.
        I miss Mike Hart

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
          It may be delayed but I’d say 80% likelihood a season happens. It’s June, the season is in November..a lot can happen between now and then


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I know time flies when you're in quarantine, but it's actually July now.

          Comment


          • #6
            I keep going back to this: The NBA, with only 22 teams, one location, a centralized commissioner, and millionaire adult professionals, is barely holding together a plan to play a brief tournament.

            There is at best a .1% chance of having an NCAA Basketball season. There are too many moving parts, with governors and AD's and university presidents and travel and practices and...well you get the point. This is absolutely devastating to say as a Gonzaga fan, but I don't see any scenario in which college basketball happens this year.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bdmiller7 View Post
              I know time flies when you're in quarantine, but it's actually July now.
              Fair enough.


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

              Comment


              • #8
                Re the OP, the phrase “adults in the room” is unnecessarily provocative and doesn’t encourage dialogue over a sensitive issue about which thoughtful adults have differing opinions. I saw another article today that used peer reviewed literature to show that data in support of cloth and surgical masks as source infection control is sparse (it supported N95 use, fwiw). It is one thing to disagree, but another thing to insult persons with which one disagrees.

                Meanwhile, a segment of Americans willfully ends a much higher number of lives via abortion than Covid ever will— and some persons are trying to find ways to kill more. It is every person’s prerogative to prioritize different personal freedoms over others, obviously.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                  Re the OP, the phrase “adults in the room” is unnecessarily provocative and doesn’t encourage dialogue over a sensitive issue about which thoughtful adults have differing opinions. I saw another article today that used peer reviewed literature to show that data in support of cloth and surgical masks as source infection control is sparse (it supported N95 use, fwiw). It is one thing to disagree, but another thing to insult persons with which one disagrees.

                  Meanwhile, a segment of Americans willfully ends a much higher number of lives via abortion than Covid ever will— and some persons are trying to find ways to kill more. It is every person’s prerogative to prioritize different personal freedoms over others, obviously.
                  analogizing women's reproductive freedom to throwing a tantrum over being required to where face mask seems...well, lets just say its not a great analogy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gonzdb8 View Post
                    analogizing women's reproductive freedom to throwing a tantrum over being required to where face mask seems...well, lets just say its not a great analogy.
                    Characterizing the issue as “throwing a tantrum” speaks volumes about the level of thoughtfulness that is being taken with this. It’s about persons content with killing 700k+ persons a year but moralizing and demonizing over unsettled science because they value human life. It’s a farce.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I said it before and I'll say it again.

                      Lock down, everybody and every thing for 6 weeks. Only essentials. Health care, grocery and pharmacy to put you online or phone orders in the trunk. Truck drivers to deliver to food and prescripts to those places, Skeletal staff for utilities, for prescription delivery through the mail, and Law Enforcement to pick up those idiots that just refuse to obey. They will serve the 6 weeks (or until they are up) in jail, extended to 14 days after the lock down is over.
                      Every worker gets $5000, including landlords and bosses, but no corporations or companies. NO RENT for 2 months, but no payments to the banks by the landlords for two months. Utilities, cable tv, cell phone, credit cards etc get paid.
                      When the 6 weeks are up, people will burst out ready to spend that money. The economy will rebound.

                      We lose this season of MLB, Nascar etc, but we get ALL the college sports, the NFL and all fall, winter and spring sports. The NBA can go ahead because of their bubble/campus plan.
                      All tests go to health care, people that are transported and those they live with. Their quarantine lasts until they are proven clean.
                      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                        Re the OP, the phrase “adults in the room” is unnecessarily provocative and doesn’t encourage dialogue over a sensitive issue about which thoughtful adults have differing opinions. I saw another article today that used peer reviewed literature to show that data in support of cloth and surgical masks as source infection control is sparse (it supported N95 use, fwiw). It is one thing to disagree, but another thing to insult persons with which one disagrees.

                        Meanwhile, a segment of Americans willfully ends a much higher number of lives via abortion than Covid ever will— and some persons are trying to find ways to kill more. It is every person’s prerogative to prioritize different personal freedoms over others, obviously.
                        Look, your entitled to your opinion and many on here would fight to protect your right to have that opinion BUT we are talking about how the safety precautions To control this virus are not being used and how that might lead to cancelling GU’s Championship season. Please don’t mix apple and oranges together...Thank You.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                          Characterizing the issue as “throwing a tantrum” speaks volumes about the level of thoughtfulness that is being taken with this. It’s about persons content with killing 700k+ persons a year but moralizing and demonizing over unsettled science because they value human life. It’s a farce.
                          Your opinion again...that has NOTHING to do with this topic...I respect your opinion but you have said it - THANK YOU

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bogozags View Post
                            Look, your entitled to your opinion and many on here would fight to protect your right to have that opinion BUT we are talking about how the safety precautions To control this virus are not being used and how that might lead to cancelling GU’s Championship season. Please don’t mix apple and oranges together...Thank You.
                            Look, your entitled to opinion. Lost me after that

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So is this the next basketball forum thread destined for closure ?
                              The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

                              “They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X